The village of Fawn Grove began with the granting of a lease by Richard Webb to Samuel Hugo and Amos Waters, for a tract Of land near the intersection Of the Baltimore and York roads.
In August of 1821. the same Amos Waters was appointed Postmaster of a Post Office in Fawn Grove.
The site upon which the town is built was a sporting ground for young deer which were numerous at the time of the first settlement and for a long time afterward. Owing to a large grove near by, someone suggested that the place be called “Fawn Grove” which was accepted.
A Charter of Incorporation wag granted in 1881. The survey was made by John S. McElwain. Dr. John A. Hawkins served a one year term as the first Burgess.